History

The Imperial Hotel was built by Michael Doyle in 1879 and has stood as an imposing part of the landscape of Maitland Street since that time. 

Senior Constable and Wardens Clerk, Michael Doyle was posted to Bingara as a Mining Warden with the Gold Commissioner Bligh sometime between 1862 and 1864. In 1879 he and his wife Elizabeth built the "Gwydir Hotel" and store at Bingara.  The Gwydir Hotel was later taken over by Mr. Henry Miller (late of The Post Office Hotel) who changed the name to The Imperial Hotel.

Although there have been renovations of the hotel since that time, the basic architectural detail has been maintained. The two storey brick and galvanised iron building, unlike the other surviving hotel, still has its veranda intact. 

[Click on the image opposite to see a great photograph, circa 1908 of the view south along Maitland Street.  Note the shearers quarters next door to The Imperial.]

Murals
Two murals painted by Paul Woods adorn the exterior of the building. They are part of a series which appear on the sides of significant heritage buildings depicting various cultural aspects of the area’s historical past. All were painted by renowned Tasmanian artists and each takes you on a sentimental walk through Bingara’s early history.

Click mural to view larger image and more details.

This mural entitled ‘Diamond Hunters of old days’ is located  under the veranda and is from a newspaper article and photo which read, 'With excavations and sampling of gravel from the “Monte Christo” mine, to find diamonds and/or gold underway, the method of operation is a far cry from those used at the mine when it operated in the 1890’s". 

The photograph taken by J.C.L. Veness of Bingara in the mid to late 1890’s, was from the Reece family photographs and was loaned by Glenda Hughes (nee Reece). 

Click to enlarge The James Squire Mural.

The above mural painted on the side wall of the pub depicts James Squire on the beer cart.  James Squire (1755-1822) brewer and farmer, arrived in the Charlotte in the First Fleet, having been convicted for highway robbery.  He was one of the earliest, if not the first, to brew beer in the colony and the first to cultivate the hop plant in Australia Successfully. 

Australians owe alot to James Squire!

View south down Maitland Street

Current proprietors
Erik & Noelene Ozols purchased The Imperial in 1994 and have adapted their business to reflect the changing needs of the town.  Backpacker accommodation was available for several years before being replaced with a conference room.

In 2006 standard pub type accommodation was enhanced by the erection of a modern 8 room motel at the rear of the pub. This was an excellent move for the town, but perhaps the most popular move for Bingara residents was the introduction of the Imperial coffee lounge, which serves specialty Merlo Coffee and other hot beverages, as well as a range of gourmet cakes and slices.

The coffee shop, conference room, beer garden and of course the bar, have made The Imperial Hotel the hub of the town. It is family friendly, the hospitality is welcoming and patrons have the choice of alfresco or inside dining. The Imperial was, and still is an important part of the social structure of Bingara and will continue to develop according to the town’s needs.

  

An advertisement printed in the 'Bingara Telegraph' in 1897 stated:

'The Imperial Hotel' (formerly The Gwydir)
Maitland Street, Bingara
H.H. Miller, Proprietor.

'The above hotel is now one of the largest and most comfortable in the North West and travellers will find the accommodation and attention first class.'

'Only the best brands of liquors stocked, stabling and grass paddocks a speciality.'

The Imperial prides itself in providing the same level of service to this day
- although admittedly not to horses!